Shopify is the platform of choice for many online retailers to use for their e-commerce business. It is appealing to established retailers and small businesses alike since it offers enough features to satisfy the needs of both.
With that being said, there is quite a bit of competition and getting your business noticed as well as generating sales can be tough. There is no replacement for dedication and hard work but you definitely also need effective and practical tips for growing your Shopify store without draining your budget.
Below are seven effective ways to help grow your Shopify store.
1. Have a mobile app for your store
This one can potentially double the traffic to your store. At one point In time, desktop computers accounted for the majority of online traffic. Fast forward to now and the majority of traffic is coming from mobile devices. So, without a mobile app, you are automatically losing out on half of the opportunities to engage and convert potential customers.
Here are just a few of the benefits of outfitting your Shopify for mobile devices:
- Visitors shopping via their mobile device are less likely to bounce away.
- A better overall customer experience where they will be able to add items to their cart via their mobile device and make the purchase via their desktop computer later on.
- Your store will potentially rank for mobile queries on Google.
- If paid ads are a part of your marketing plan, you will be able to test how well mobile users are converting.
2. Sell a variety of products
This tip is pretty straightforward but it is one hundred percent true. If you want to increase your revenue, sell more products. The idea here though is not to sell everything under the sun. Amazon has that one covered. You want to offer a variety of items that fit in with your brand. As an example, if you sell sunglasses, you may want to add hats and watches to your inventory. Being that the items are complementary, people will most likely buy the additional products increasing your average order amount.
Having more products also gives you the opportunity to create broader categories which lends itself
to driving more traffic from SEO.
Here are some ways to help you determine additional products to sell:
- Google different product categories to see what ads appear first in the shopping tab.
- Create a fake Facebook account and go to stores that are similar to yours and see which ads pop up in your newsfeed. If a certain product is showing up, you know that it is doing well.
- Go on to Amazon and Ebay and see who the top sellers are in your category.
3. Focus on customer retention
The majority of sales you receive will be coming from previous customers. For this reason, focusing on customer retention is much more cost effective than trying to acquire new customers.
Here are some effective ways to improve your retention:
- Send out regular email communication. This will help keep your business engaged and top of mind with customers. Think sales announcements and birthday messages.
- Use Exit Offers. This app has a pop-up that appears with a special promotion if customers start to navigate away from your store. A one-time-use coupon or free shipping will do the trick and you will keep revenue you would have otherwise lost to an abandoning customer.
- Try re-targeting. With this, you are basically placing a cookie in the person’s browser with info about the product they were looking at. This will then follow them around the internet and show up as ads via Facebook or Adwords in the hopes that by reminding them, they will come back and make a purchase.
- Send out an a birthday email message or coupon.
- Try repeat customer discounts and giveaways.
4. Build an Email list
A great way to make your marketing strategy more productive is to build a strong email list. Email marketing is great since you can send out a message anytime you want and you don’t have to rely on traffic from Google etc. If you do not have an email list compiled yet, you will have to start collecting them. This can be achieved via a pop up on your site, like the ones you see when you visit your favorite store and a pop up opens asking for your email address in order to receive a coupon. Once you have set up a way to collect email addresses and you have gathered valuable content, you will be on your way to having what you need to send out email marketing campaigns.
5. Your content should be optimized for ecommerce
Content Marketing is key when it comes to promoting interest in a brand. With that being said, when it comes to e-commerce, you want to focus on certain types of content in order for it to be effective:
- Video content: Most people are apt to buy a product after watching a relevant video and that number goes up with product videos since they use these to help with a purchasing decision. Combine this with the fact that videos are a significant source of web traffic in general and you have every reason you need to start pushing video in your marketing mix.
- Product descriptions: Your product descriptions can be really helpful with boosting your conversion rates as well as your SEO and page shares. The key is to do them properly and in an engaging manner.
- Images: They are a key component of your store and the better the images the more sales you are likely to get. Furthermore, if you have images of your product in use, it is great to include those as well.
- Product reviews and testimonials: Recommending products to past customers is a great revenue booster. You can recommend products based on previous purchases via email. You can also share testimonials on your social media accounts which will help build trust among customers.
Your store’s success depends not only on your products but the connection you have with your customers. People tend to buy from companies that they connect with on a more personal level and the content you put out is how you get your story out there. Whether it’s through blogging or vlogging, finding ways to tell your story to your customers will provide a major boost to the potential growth of your brand.
7. Incorporate interactive content
Quizzes are one of the simplest ways to get started with interactive content. They have a very high percentage of shares and people love to take them. For these reasons, they are a great way to boost organic traffic and sales to your store. If you do make one, and you should, be sure to share it on social media and embed it on your web page. You also want to make sure that the quizzes lead into some call to action that encourages them to buy from you. The call to action should tie in to the quiz in order for it to be successful.